Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lost at Sea

Right now I have never wanted to see California more - its been more than a month on the ship, and my brain has been going 1000 mph since we started. Right now I'm just physically and mentally exhausted, and would love a change in pace. I'm in this "funk" most likely because we have midterms on the ship right now, and nothin' puts me in a funk like school in summatime. Fat Albert & The Gang know what I'm talkin' about. Anyway - I have no reason for such thoughts because I will have a full month at home once this is all over. I will be sleeping the entire time!

We have been trailing down the coast of Portugal for the past day - no sight of land, but in approximately 1 hour we will pass through the Straight of Gibraltar, thus squeezing through Spain and Morocco and entering the Med! I have been dreaming about this for some time now, and I can't wait until we arrive in Italy.

It's incredibly difficult to cram Italy down to 4 days, for obvious reasons. You have Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast to the south of our port, and to the north lies Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, and dozens of world-famous coastline (not to mention the picaresque islands off the coast). So far I plan on spending the first 2 days in Rome (because... you have to go to Rome, right?), then the 2nd half of my stay is uncertain. Who knows. Maybe Florence, maybe some coastal stuff, but in any case I aim to have a good time.

Lat 53.7N
Long 3.2W
Speed 23.2 knots

update from later in the night -
We passed through Gibraltar, and it was perhaps one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Stood on the back deck and saw Africa on one side (Morocco) and Europe on the other (Spain). I could taste the salt blowing from the Mediterranean - we have finally made it!

No comments: