Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Best Intentions

Greetings!

This blog is the first step (and hopefully a convincing one) for me to announce my summer plans. For years, I have dreamed about seeing the world. My recent university education has opened my heart and mind, and I am now more than ever ready for a global exploration.

I was born and raised in Newport Beach, California. That city has given me more than I could have ever asked for, and I am currently a student at UC Santa Barbara. At the end of my freshman year, right around 2-3 weeks before summer, it occurred to me that Newport was not the place that I should be spending my summer. I arrived at this conclusion after visiting an old friend who described his own summer plans: he was to live and work in London, traveling when he could and living the dream. Had summer not have already been upon me, I would have been hopping on the first flight to Europe. Alas, I was too late.

Surprisingly enough, that summer resulted in endless fun at home. I was able to see old friends and family, make a good deal of money, take a break from school, and more importantly: I met someone who changed my life (you know who you are). Towards the end of this remarkable summer (which led up to this current school year), I accepted that the timing would have been wrong if I had left the country. I simply had a blast, and would not trade it for anything.

Having closed the book on the summer of 2007 (in a confident and content manner), my thoughts turned quickly to the next question: how would I spend the next one? Knowing that another summer at home would not come close to matching 2007, the timing felt perfect to consider studying abroad. That is when I discovered Semester at Sea.

My highest hopes are to travel aboard the MV Explorer throughout June, July and August 2008. I continue to search for scholarships and other methods of making this voyage more affordable, because the trip is one that I could not pass up on. All goes well, you will be reading much more of what I have to say in the months to come. I promise to keep in interesting, thought-provoking, and to the point. So please-

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This blog is more like a piece of literary genius than a college students mental semi-sober ramble about trying to go to Europe for the wrong reasons. I am ecstatic that you have decided to embark on such and an amazing adventure this summer, and know you will come home a changed (for the better) man. You will return with new friends, amazing memories, dozens of keepsakes and hopefully all your limbs... All I can say is take lots of pictures, see all you can, drink the local libation, fall in love with as many women & places you can, try things outside your comfort zone, eat too much, laugh too loud and live too large. Love ya Mark and know you will have the time of your life!